Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I've been brooding over this problem the last few weeks, thinking of an appropriate solution. I was thinking maybe I'd let people post links to Wikipedia, but only if they provided a secondary citation, but then, what's the point of posting links to Wikipedia at all? Consequently:

NO MORE POSTING LINKS TO WIKIPEDIA.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm just restating what everyone already knows. Wikipedia is an unreliable source. (source 1, source 2, source 3, source 4, source 5 ... people this list could go on forever!)

But the last straw was this article about counter-culture icon Timothy Leary. Sure we all know that wikipedia proudly proclaims that they don't have any unified editing process (not to mention a total lack of oversight or review), but one claim in this article was completely without merit or base. And while that "fact" has subsequently been removed -- some nonsense about Timothy discovering a primary color -- it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

If you post a link to Wikipedia your post will be hidden, or your thread moved to the garbage chute. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

• CommentAuthorPanescapee
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2006 edited

As a school teacher, I applaud the choice to disallow citations to Wikipedia. It has its uses, but fact checking is not among them.