Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbeldar
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2006

Never heard of the Brown Derby's Cobb salad being named after baseball great Ty Cobb. The story I had always heard is the one listed in wikipedia and dramatized in a Food Network program, that derby owner Robert H. Cobb put together the salad from whatever he could find in the kitchen after hours. No baseball mentioned.

•  
      CommentAuthorTaed
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2006 edited

It sounds like they mixed up their facts a bit, which isn't a surprise for Wikipedia. They got the Brown Derby part right, but given that the original menu item was called the Ty Cobb Salad (the name shortened over the years), its orgins are clear. The "after hours" customer was, of course, Ty Cobb. To add further confusion to the story, Ty Cobb and Bob Cobb were first cousins, so the erroneous conclusion based on the shortened name is understandable. You can find some scans of some Brown Derby menus on the Internet if you need to prove it to yourself.

Thank you for bringing that up -- I'll bet that a few others might have heard that slightly twisted version of the story.

•  
      CommentAuthorhitchhiker

even i was caught out by that for a minute, before i realised that wikipedia was bunkum and gullible.info (www.gullible.info if you couldnt find it) was the only real compilation of facts on the web

It seems like Cobb salad is awfully simple. Maybe multiple people "invented" it all at the same time. I haven't done any research into this, it's just a guess.

But you're probably right about wikipedia. It's probably just someone with an ax to grind against Ty Cobb.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrFingers

watch curb your enthusiasm ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorUdoboy
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2006

There are plenty of people with an ax to grind against Ty Cobb, apparently. He's in the top 10 most hated sports figures.