Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkevin143
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2006

This number was clearly made up on the spot. Does anyone know of any research that cites the true percentage of fake statistics?

•  
      CommentAuthorTaed
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2006 edited

I saw a paper in AJS (American Journal of Statistics) a few years ago that just focused on large-city newspapers, and they estimated that it was between 40 and 55 percent, but as I recall their margin of error was something like 12 percent. They also rated the papers for their factualness, and as I recall, The New York Times was by far the most accurate, and I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the Sacramento Bee was at the bottom.

There had also been some work in this area by the excellent, but now defunct, media-watchdog magazine Brill's Content, but I don't recall any specifics.

Unfortunately, that's the only research I recall that was based on actual data rather than just someone's guess / opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorhitchhiker
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2006

it was just a mis-typing as far as i believe - at that current time it was 43.7%, not 47.3%.

however, statistics are continually happening and being made up, so the actual percentage will vary massively over any given period of time

• CommentAuthorcoulsono
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2006

But you must take into consideration that half of the people on Earth make up 50% of the population...and that research causes cancer in rats.

7 out of 5 people have trouble with fractions
    Ciggarettes are the #1 cause of statistics

freelance writer