August 24, 2008
• 478 pairs of shoes were discarded by athletes during the 2008 Summer Olympics.
• Groomers at the Beach Volleyball venue at the Beijing Olympics added approximately 125 kg of sand to the court after each day of matches. Most of the sand was removed on the feet of competitors and offials but a significant amount was taken by spectators as a souvinir.
• 6,872 kilos of chlorine were used in the various aquatic venues during the Summer Olympics in Beijing.
• Among Americans visiting China for the Olympics, four percent tasted sea urchin or starfish. Less than one percent of those who tried them will ever eat them again.
• In the 2008 Summer Olympics, eighteen events had at least one weather-related delay of at least five minutes.