April 1, 2006
• A cat is twice as likely to be fatally injured if it falls between two and six stories, than if it falls seven to 32 stories.
• In the 1893 case Nix v. Hedden, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the tomato is a vegetable.
• The chocolate chip cookie was invented in 1930 by Ruth Wakefield. It gained renown when it was featured on the packaging for Nestle chocolate.
• Originally, Twinkies were produced with banana filling, but this was replaced with a vanilla filling due to the rationing of bananas during World War II.
• In a race for Virginia House of Burgesses, George Washington's campaign gave away 160 gallons of alcohol on election day, about a quart and a half per voter.