March 28, 2006
• The Oxford English Dictionary (Unabridged) is the only English dictionary that contains an entry for "pompitous", a word made infamous by The Steve Miller Band's song "The Joker". It is defined as the pluperfect tense of pompous.
• Scientists at NASA calculated that if a professional baseball pitcher were on the moon, they would be able to throw a baseball into orbit, due to the low gravity and lack of air resistance.
• In 1978, Gerald Ford became the only U.S. President to simultaneously have books on The New York Times' bestsellers list for fiction (Marine-One) and non-fiction (In My Time: The Importance of Being Gerald).
• In the Dutch language, the restaurant idiom "let's go American" means to not leave a tip.
• It is estimated that the decrease in fuel efficiency due to car antennae balls is responsible for 6,500 extra barrels of oil being consumed per day in the United States alone.