January 16, 2006
• There are exactly six palindromes, using common English words, that contain the letter 'Q'.
• The 1936 explosion of the Hindenburg derailed plans for the construction of the 1300-foot long airship von Trapp, which would have held a swimming pool, a 100-seat theater and a bowling alley.
• In the late-1950's, NASA seriously considered the feasibility of half-mile-long, atomic-bomb powered spacecraft for travel to the outer solar system and beyond.
• The discovery of the volcanic Mid-Atlantic Ridge in 1954 finally put an end to the age-old dream of a trans-Atlantic undersea tunnel connecting Cornwall with Newfoundland.
• An estimated ninety-five percent of all fireworks ever made were manufactured in China.