January 10, 2006
• The current Iraq war has cost four times more than all energy-related research, worldwide, since 1990.
• The world's largest organism is arguably a termite super-colony, spanning 4300 square miles across southern Kenya.
• At eight mph, the 1896 Benz Velocipede was the world's fastest self-propelled, trackless vehicle. The Pittsburgh Flyer, a steam train of the same era, was clocked at 84 miles per hour.
• The energy contained in just one tank of gasoline, if applied all at once, is enough to lift a VW Bug into orbit.
• A California-compliant civilian model of the M1 Abrams Tank is scheduled for regular production by 2008.
• The overall fuel economy of U.S. consumer vehicles has declined by 17 percent since 1995.