January 8, 2006
• An estimated 35 percent of African-Americans are descendants of at least one passenger of the Mayflower.
• Each year, the Earth's 1.3 million sperm whales eat a mass of squid equivalent in weight to all of humanity — roughly a dozen people a day per whale.
• Dixon, South Dakota bills itself as the "Sex-change Capital of the World."
• There are believed to be fewer than forty Republican, tenured sociology professors working at North American universities.
• The chapter on game in 1950's and 60's editions of the best-selling "Joy of Cooking" included recipes for muskrat, opossum and polecat ("carefully remove scent-glands before dressing").