November 24, 2005
• Over the course of its four-month life span, the average commercially bred domestic turkey is fed two pounds of antibiotics, sedatives and other growth enhancing drugs.
• As the name suggests, marshmallows were originally made from the roots of the Marsh Mallow; in 1934, A. Doumak created the first synthetic marshmallow from propane and corn syrup.
• Under USDA guidelines, it is illegal to pass off yams as sweet potatoes.
• In the hundred years of intermittent contact before the first Thanksgiving, European diseases reduced native populations by 85 percent.
• In 1909, President Taft's lavish thanksgiving banquet featured a roasted horse, stuffed with an ewe, stuffed with a goat, stuffed with a swan, stuffed with a piglet, stuffed with a capon, stuffed with a grouse, stuffed with a squib, stuffed with a pâté of field thrushes.