September 1, 2005
• America’s first dryer sheet factory, in Wisconsin was closed after it was discovered that the pleasant smell was responsible for migraines in children at a nearby elementary school.
• Typical newspapers can withstand 136 individual class 2 raindrops before becoming unreadable.
• According to a survey conducted for Toshiba, 86 percent of Americans are unaware that DVD is an acronym that stands for either “Digital Video Disc” or “Digital Versatile Disc.”
• In an anonymous quote to the Associated Press during the 2002 holiday season, a senior Brookstone manager admitted that nearly 25 percent of the company’s catalog “merely added an alarm clock or radio” to an existing product.
• Shipments from IKEA now represent nearly 40 percent of US/Swedish trade and experts fear that if the furniture giant continues at its current rate of growth, the US will face a trade imbalance with Sweden by 2012.