January 6, 2005
• Only 7 percent of Americans pronounce the second 's' in the word 'asterisk'.
• The strongest earthquake in recorded history took place in 241 BC off the coast of China. It is estimated to have been at least magnitude 9.4.
• Kites were invented as a siege weapon, but were relatively ineffective. It was another 30 years before they were first made as toys.
• Only one in 20 debit card users change their PIN, but of those that do, 12 percent choose 1234, and 7 percent chose one digit repeated four times.
• There have been 572 attempts to patent the wheel in the United States. Seven of these were granted, but revoked when they were challenged in court.